It is estimated that over 30,000 buildings in the UK are deliberately set on fire every year, costing as much as £300 million.
Arson can happen for a variety of reasons, including vandalism, revenge and covering up another crime. No matter the reason, it pays to know what a serious fire can cost your
business and how you can reduce your risks.
Fires can cost you in several ways:
- Property damage
- Serious injury or death
- Loss of business or rent
- Increased insurance premiums
There are a number of things you can do to prevent arsonists from harming your business:
- Perform a risk assessment and identify areas where you are vulnerable. Prioritise how you will address issues.
- Periodically inspect your property to ensure it is secure and in compliance with the law.v
- Secure your premises by locking all entrances and exits. Consider installing an intruder alarm, CCTV or hiring a security service.
- Inspect your fire safety equipment regularly to ensure it is in good working order.
- Develop a business continuity plan that addresses how you will handle a serious fire.
- Check your insurance policy to make sure it covers you for fire damage and liability.
Knightsure Insurance Brokers can help you comply with fire safety laws and reduce your risk of arson. We also have the insurance solutions you need — contact us today.